Well, we got the first real good test of the jet luge done. It lasted all of about 10 minutes before the engine overheated and we blew the brand new impeller we just spent $500 on. but the good news is we have learnt from that expensive mistake and we are building a new larger power turbine which will help the engine breath better and increase the power by about 30%. the dam board already was hooting along so next time it will be awesome! Just a side note. The turbine actually got so hot it melted some braising welds we did. the highest temp we got before the temp gauge failed was 1343 Degrees Celsius. Which is a little over the average running temp for a turbine. which for this one usually sits at around 550 to 580 Degrees Celsius.
Unfortunately it means even more delays. but i expected this sort of thing. we are building something no one else in the world has ever built. so moving on and forwards.
i hope you enjoy some of the pictures of the aftermath. unfortunately we had the camera filming the board fail on us and didn't get the self destruction.
With the first test of the new board completed we now have time to go over and fine tune the things we discovered. the throttle was a major issue that needed fixing. we then found the oil we are running is a little too thin. the battery was a little underpowered and being a LiPo decided it's time on this earth was done and wanted to do it's best impression of a balloon. We still have a lot of work to do but the board is rideable and i will be doing a lot of testing before we finalise the end product. During some down time we will replace some bearing make sure the turbines injectors are fueling just right.
But for those of you who don't read, here's a pretty picture of the first test of the new board.